Friday, March 2, 2007

Love can build a bridge.

This week has been ah-mazing! It was my turn to create the lesson plan and teach all the lessons for the week. I knew what I wanted to do, and the students really caught on quickly.

One student had given me a little trouble last week. I'll call him Bob. He's been known as a troublemaker for a long time. He never listens or does anything he's asked to do, and most of the time he is a tremendous disruption to the class. Usually he will try to bother anyone sitting around him. On Tuesday, Bob had an accident on the playground. Another student had pushed him down, and he had fallen hard on the asphalt, enough to scratch his hands and knees and bring blood. I took a moment to make sure he was alright, and I walked him in to the nurse. I waited until he was alright to leave. I really think that made an impression on him.

Today, he was a completely different student! Bob was listening to what I said today, he participated in the activities, and he even did the assignment without talking! I was so proud of him. He even had a tooth fall out in the middle of class, and it still didn't dissuade his good behavior. He was so good today, I gave him a gold slip (this is a good thing by the way) and told him if he would act like that all the time, he'd have gold slips out his ears (again, a good thing). Maybe, just letting someone know you care about them will help change their perspective...

Next week, we begin the rigorous testing for the district. I am really not looking forward to this. Since I am not a certified teacher, I really can't do anything except help out the certified teachers. Rachel told me to bring a book. I think I might take three. I can never read just one book at a time!

I'll save my soap box about testing for next week. I can go on for days about this. Let me get on the Senate floor one day about this topic and I could make a record filibuster. Well, I'm digressing. Until next week!

No comments: