Friday, March 9, 2007

Yeah testing!

This week has been a crazy week. Bentonville has been administering the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS). I think the last e-mail I read, over 9000 students were administered this test in the school district. I personally think testing has been pushed way too far. Not only is school funding is being effected because of scores, but teachers are teaching to tests rather than trying to teach concepts to students. People, as in government, don't remember that we in the United States have made it a right to have an education. Everyone, no matter what, will be educated. Lots of surveys show that America cannot keep up with other countries, but that doesn't take into account that the students in the other countries are the elite and are there because they scored the best in the first place! I personally do not think it's right. But I'm not in a position to change anything... YET! Okay, there's at least a little bit of my rant on testing. Whew!

But, the week at hand was a cake walk for me. Since I am not a certified teacher, I was not able to help with any part of the test. So, my most wonderful, amazing, magnificent, beautiful (is that enough sucking up?) mentor teacher, Rachel, told me not to worry about coming in until the afternoon classes. YEAH! I got to sleep in almost every day this week. I didn't have to deal with any traffic, nor did I have to worry about being late at all! I loved it. And all we did this week with the classes we did have was watch a movie, which I think I can quote line for line as well as notate all the music in the movie, at least the first hour and five minutes!

Rachel is having to get back into the habit of teaching. I think she's really enjoyed not having to worry about it for the last few weeks. She was able to get a lot of stuff done that she needed, like her thesis!

Anyway, this week was pretty smooth. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Maybe next week will hold some kind of magical treat that I can share with you. Chat with you later!

No comments: