Thursday, April 5, 2007

Money makes the world go 'round.

Over the last few days, I've made some startling observations. The school where I was previously placed falls into the socioeconomic realm of the upper-middle class. A lot of the parents were executives or some type of upper level income with a higher education degree or two under their belt. The household usually has two parents with a good amount of mothers stay-at-home moms by choice. This type of family leads to well groomed, well mannered children with cell phones, laptops, and Nintendo Wii.

At my new placement, the students don't have these advantages. The community is probably considered lower-middle class or even at or below the poverty level. Both parents are probably working full time jobs in workplaces where degrees aren't required, if they are working and not on welfare. The students are lucky if one parent is home, let alone both. Students go home with backpacks full of food and clothes provided from the school and community. There are also a lot more noticeable cases of lower intelligence, ADHD, and other behavioral problems, as well as a higher case of students classified into the Special Education system.

I was talking with mom about a couple of these students. Since she is a K-2 Special Education teacher in a rural school district, I knew she would have some sound words of advice. She was in complete agreement over these observations I had made and had noticed the same things with her students. As we were talking, one student I had met earlier this week came to mind. He really touched my heart. I noticed that he was clearly a student with some sort of disability. I assumed this was a birth defect, but while talking with Tami about him, I found out that he was shaken as a baby and given severe brain damage by his parent. This really broke my heart; this student was trying so hard to do simple tasks, while several of his co-students were slacking off and not even trying. He wanted so much to please Tami. I just really hate this kind of torture that parents put their children through when it is completely avoidable.

Not only are the students completely different, the buildings where learning occurs are different as well. My first school district has the highest paid teachers in the state, with masters and doctorate degrees and National Board Certification. My current placement is lucky if their teachers are certified. These observations are only from the first four days at my new school. Isn't is amazing what money and privilege can provide to those who have it?

No comments: