Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Water Makes the World Go Round...

Have you ever wondered how much our lives revolve around water? Well, probably not, but I got to see first hand if I could deal without running water in my house. When I got home this afternoon, I noticed there was a note on my door and my kitchen mat was out on the porch. When I got up the stairs and read the note, I understood why my mat was on the porch. My downstairs neighbor (yes, the very vocal one) noticed there was water leaking from her light fixture in her kitchen this morning. She called our landlord, and upon inspection, noticed the water was coming from my apartment. My water heater was kaput. And water was pouring into the floor of my horribly unclean apartment (I've been a little preoccupied with jobs and moving, so I haven't been diligent in the cleaning department). Anyway, when I walked into my apartment this afternoon, my furniture was all moved, and there was a gaping hole exposing the water heater. Completely lovely.
I called my landlords (who are amazing and the best landlords I've ever had), and found out that our maintenance man is on vacation and they don't expect the water heater to be replaced until Thursday morning. Fantastic.
Now the good news. When the water heater was installed there was no shut off valve installed with it, so the water to my entire apartment is off. Yes, I can't even flush a toilet or brush my teeth. It's going to be fun the next few days. At least I have loving friends that will let me borrow their shower for a quick cleaning.
On a side note, I did hear from my landlord later tonight, and she told me that the maintenance man did have a change in plans and is going to fix it tomorrow. Yeah, at least I don't have to be semi-19th century very long.
And on another note, check out these pictures of my two boys from this weekend. Aren't they precious....

1 comment:

Brian and Mel said...

You can come stay with us!!! (if you can live with the drive...) Our shower is here for you if you need it.