Wednesday, June 4, 2008

If It's Not One Thing...

So Monday I decided to move away from Fayetteville. Tuesday my water heater flooded my apartment. And today, my car battery decided to go kaput. Seriously. This has not been my week!
On my seven minute drive from the office to my house, I noticed my air bag light was flashing at me. As I pulled in to my parking space at my apartment, my car decided to do some sort of gurgle, gurgle, puthunk, and proceeded to die. I tried to start it again, and all I got was a click click click. Not good. But the lights were working, if weakly, and the car did try to start, so after not panicking too much, I called Shawn and told him I wouldn't be at church tonight and then called my dad. I told him the symptoms, and he decided it was either the battery or the alternator. I figured since my interior lights were still weakly working, I didn't think it was the alternator. Dad then asked me how old my battery was. I told him at least four years. I think Evan helped me replace it when the last battery, the original six-year-old factory-installed battery, exploded. That was in September 2003. So, yep, it was the battery.
I started trying to deduce who would be at home and able to help. I called Jamie, and he came to my rescue... with Audrie in tow (I really think he wants to be a stay at home dad). He pulled out the jumper cables, charged the battery for a few minutes, and we were off to Wal-Mart. We decided to go to the mall Wal-Mart since the Wal-Martians have invaded Fayetteville and use the 6th Street Wal-Mart like it's their bedroom (more on them later). Well, my car had other plans. We got on the road, and I took the on-ramp for I540, when all of the sudden, my odometer, speedometer, clock and basically all the interior lights went out. The car was still running, so I took the next exit and got on the phone to Jamie, who was following me. He suggested Sam's since we were basically there. Good idea. We walked in, checked with the Tire & Battery Center, and were told "that'll be about 20 minutes." Are you kidding me? If we had gone to Wal-Mart, that battery replacement would have taken a good hour and a half. I really think I may have to break down and get a Sam's Club membership...
So, I have some of the best friends in the world, who, when I call in my hour of need, drive 17 miles and come help. Thanks Jamie and Audrie! Our harrowing drive to Sam's will always be remembered, especially when I start down I540 with no speedometer, odometer, air conditioning, or lights! But no hour of need goes without payment. At least my payment will be time spent babysitting Audrie...

1 comment:

Clare said...

It's a sign from above. Fayetteville doesn't want to see you go. But at least you got it all taken care of! If only to see your car towed off this week :(

p.s.-i'm sad i'm not on your friends blogs list anymore.