Sunday, August 5, 2007

Priceless? I don't think so...

$250 for the cost of three different Praxis II exams.
$63.57 for the cost of one night at the Days Inn in Russellville.
$45 for the cost of gas for a trip to Russellville.
The mind-numbing, hand cramping pain these exams cause me...Priceless???

I've talked with several people about this, but here's my official gripe. I find it very ironic that in order to be licensed by the state of Arkansas to teach children about music, I must pass 5 different Praxis exams. These tests, which cost between $75 and $125 a piece, are to test my knowledge of the area I will be teaching as well as my knowledge of teaching skills and my ability to read, write, add, and subtract. What I don't understand is that I have just spent a good portion of my life attending a STATE school where the STATE mandates the curriculum. I was awarded a DEGREE for the COMPLETION from this STATE university, for which I paid a rather hefty sum and will continue to be paying for a while. It seems to me that if I complete the educational requirements for a diploma from this school, run by the STATE, that I should be considered competent and ready to begin sharing the knowledge gained at this institution. However, some highly educated, reasonably sane business man created the idea that in order to allow these graduates from STATE institutions to share their knowledge, they must first pass an exam that he charges a kagillion dollars to take. Personally, I think we over test. But, until I get my license, I have to follow the rules.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sista!