Thursday, January 25, 2007

Were you a car rider or a bus rider?

Well, this week has gone swimmingly. I can already tell that I am no longer in the shallow end, and the sharks are 10-12 year old kiddos! It's been so much fun this week. I've already taught a couple of songs and a recorder lesson or three, as well as helped with keyboards and rhythm lessons.

Today, we took the kids to a program at the high school's performing arts center. Seventy-five fifth graders on two buses with only four adults could be a little overwhelming, but the kids were amazing. We sang, listened to a few performaces from area groups, and I even started learning names of some of the kids! I think I freaked one of them out. I haven't had her in class yet, but I already knew her name. But when your name rhymes with Ally McBeal, it kind of sticks in your head!

I get to teach a full class tomorrow. I have that nervous anticipation going on right now. I know this lesson backwards and forwards, but having to put it in to practice is a little difficult. I just have to remember to smile and not glare at the children and I should be alright. I also need to spend some time on the piano; I'm a wee bit rusty, but it's all coming back. Now if only I can remember how to give the evil eye...

No comments: