Monday, January 22, 2007

Do you remember your first day at a new school?

So today I joined the ranks of "official teacher" status. I was in the classroom! And I even got to help some kids and walk around with my "official teacher" red pen. It felt like home. I don't even know how to explain how much I have missed this.

Well anyway, my day began with the impossible task of getting to Bentonville without hitting traffic. Hello! This is NWA; you hit traffic everywhere, even the bathroom. So I made it to the school in one piece and was only a little harried from the treacherous drive. I walked into the office and was greeted by Ms. Cornett and Ms. Harper! It was just like home. I loved it! Rachel (aka Ms. Cornett) had all kinds of stuff for me- a desk with a lamp, a cup of pencils, a tape dispenser, a stapler, and an amazing five subject spiral notebook. I love her!

The day was rather normal. I observed Rachel in action today. I don't know if I have ever told her this, but she is an amazing teacher, and I count myself lucky to be able to learn from her. She works her class pretty hard the entire hour they are there. And what's neat is that the kids actually don't realize how much they are working.

I got to help the percussion section keep their beat going today. Can you say "I like bananas?" I also got to help with the sight reading exercise on the keyboards and the rousing recorder rendition of "Go Tell Aunt Rhoady." I felt very useful today. Rachel even has me teaching on Wednesday! I can't wait! Sing with me: A ram sam sam, a ram sam sam, gulley gulley gulley gulley gulley ram sam sam!

No comments: