Thursday, May 8, 2008

You've Got a Friend

It's Carole King Day in the office (hence the title; it's the song playing right now). Hump Day came off without a hitch. Which is lucky considering how much I had to do yesterday. Work was great; I finished a couple of projects and surprised my boss by having a file saved that he didn't think I would have. Hmm, that should show him! I made it to Praise team in Sprigdale on time, and we ran through one song before I had to skedaddle.
I made it to the Choir Room back on campus right as the tuba player was taking her (yes, her) tuba out of the case. The people in this brass quintet are hilarious! They made me feel really comfortable and even took my suggestions really well. They started playing the Alma Mater really slowly and very pretty. You can't sing it that way. It has to be a little faster. So, I suggested it, and the guy who is singing at the business college graduation looked very thankful. That song takes so much air!
Anyway, they've got a great arrangement of the "Star Spangled Banner" in Eb. Usually it's in F, and can get a little high. Eb lets me not have to worry about going into my break too much (a break is the part of your singing register where you begin having to switch from chest voice to head voice and can cause some not pretty sounds to occur). The horn player told me she hadn't heard someone sing it that well in a long time. Ahh, that made me feel really good.
After rehearsals, I headed over to Jim and Emily's to meet up with them and Jamie, Rachel, and Audrie. In order to celebrate the end of Jim's requirements for residency this term, Jamie and Jim had "Man Day- not Man Morning, not Man Afternoon, not Man Evening, but Man Day." Seriously.
Jim and Em had spent all day cooking Indian food, which was ah-mazing! I always forget how much I like it until I have it (TWSS). After eating a plate full of Indian fare, watching Jason Castro get kicked off American Idol (yeah!), and playing with Audrie (how sweet is she!), I headed back to the house, just before the massive storm decided to descend on Fayetteville. As I was sitting at a stop light on my way home, I noticed a spider crawling across the hood of my car. It was rather large; I could see it so that counts for rather large. It then ran up my windshield, and I really started getting uncomfortable (I don't like spiders). It proceeded to run to my window, and there I noticed ANOTHER spider. Two spiders less than six inches from my head. I was not a happy camper. Well, when the light changed, I tried to go as fast as I could to knock them off. It was then that a pelting rain began and completely obliterated them. Yeah!
So, as long as I don't get sick and get enough rest, Saturday should go off without a hitch too! I'm getting really excited about it. I just hope that I don't psych myself out and get all nervous and pinched sounding. I really want to impress all these people... and not look like a fool!

No comments: