Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Newton's Third Law of Alma Mater

I was talking to a friend last night, and she told me that every time she hears the University of Arkansas Alma Mater she thinks of me. Huh? That's exactly what I said. She then told me a story that I have no recollection of, but I can totally see it happening.

She said that, ages ago, when she was a lonely freshman attending the big, bad University of Arkansas, she was having a hard day. We were at band practicing the Alma Mater pregame drill, and since it was probably Early Week or close to the first week of classes, she was still trying to make friends. We took a break and she said that while getting water, I walked over to her and asked how she was doing. Since she had on sunglasses, I never noticed the tears in her eyes. She said that I sat there and talked with her, and she honestly felt better after that. And now, every time she hears the Alma Mater, she thinks of me.

Now, I honestly cannot remember this at all, but it made an impression on her. My friend, you have no idea how much I needed to hear that story. It made me realize that even though I am doing something as insignificant as shooting the breeze at rehearsal, I am impacting some one's life. I hope that my witness shines bright for all to see!

No comments: