Saturday, April 26, 2008

Fundraiser Friday and Sunbathing Saturday

How do you raise money for a school? You host a men's night and charge $100 a ticket for entrance. Yes, I said $100 per ticket. Friday night I helped out Nancy with an event she was running. Nancy is part of an amazing side business called Ease the Day Event and Party Planning (e-mail me if you're in need of an event coordinator, I'll give you her number!). She asked a few weeks ago if I would be willing to help her, and of course I said yes. The event was Men's night, and the men definitely had a night. I think I've decided I want to be Catholic. They sure know how to throw a party at St. Joe's! There were hundreds of guys there, eating steak fromcooked by Nick from Herman's (one of the best steakhouses in the area, and Nick is from Herman's not the steak), drinking beer, smoking cigars, and bidding on silent/live auction items like a trip for four to a Notre Dame game (private plane included), Lasik eye surgery, cosmetic surgery from Dr. Taylor, and a stay in a Chateau in Switzerland, all on the school parking lot. Crazy, huh? I don't think I have ever seen men throw away money like it was nothing. I was amazed, as were all the girls working the auction table with me. But, if Nancy asks me to do it again next year, I'm totally going to say yes! It was the most fun I've had on a Friday night in a long time.

Since it was such a beautiful day here in NWA, Jamie and Rachel and Jim and Emily and I decided to forgo the Springfest Festival on Dickson Street, ignore the pre-game festivities of our beloved football Razorbacks, and instead go sit in a dark, temperature controlled theater and watch a movie. I know, crazy right? We saw the new movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Now, this movie is not for the faint of heart... or the person with sensitive ears. There's a lot of crude humor, a little rough language, and a few shots of the full monty. Even with all the crudeness, it was still a very funny movie, and I will probably see it again when it comes out on video. After the movie, we headed to the Flying Burrito, one of Fayetteville's local restaurants. We all ate way too much and then decided to sit outside in the amazing sun and pretend we were in Florida. It almost worked, except for the fact we were sitting on College Avenue listening to cars and motorcycles rather than on a beach listening to waves and birds (yes Rachel, there will probably be birds on the beach). Anyway, I had a great couple of days that provided a great relief from the stress of my every day problems.


Oh, and by the way, congratulations to Darren McFadden and Felix Jones! D-Mac went fourth in the NFL draft and will be playing for the Oakland Raiders and Felix the Cat went twenty-second overall to the Dallas Cowboys. Congratulations guys!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*sigh* such a nice day today... Except I can't stop thinking about the cruel "beaking" crow!!

Anonymous said...

PS- when do we all get to officially begin the countdown of days until Florida??