Tuesday, April 22, 2008

How'd they go?

Well, both interviews today went alright. Neither one was a ten minute must-do like Farmington was. The interview with Mrs. Ellington at Garfield was interesting. I really like the atmosphere of the school. It reminded me a lot of a couple of the school districts around Batesville, like Cushman and Mount Pleasant- small, local schools that the parents attend and probably the grandparents attended as well. The principal told me that the music position in the past has been a great stepping stone for other full-time employment with the district. And several times she's hired someone, only to have that person snatched up by another school for a full-time position. The sad thing is, even at half-time, the teaching job would still be making more than I make at the University.

Jones Elementary reminded me a lot of my elementary school. I went to East Elementary in Jonesboro for seven years (K-6). It's an older building, but the kids there were just adorable. And completely curious! When I arrived, they were just finishing dismissing classes for the day. I always forget how much I love being around children. They are just such positive rays of sunshine that brighten my day and bring about a whole different side to my personality. I become patient and loving; I basically get a heart! (I'm totally joking, by the way!)
Mrs. Flora said there were a lot of people interested in this job. Who knew there were so many people interested in teaching elementary music? She and Ms. Fink were very nice, and we all asked each other a lot of questions. Like an idiot though, I did take some sinus medicine about an hour before the interview. It was either that, or have my eyes tear all over her desk! Anyway, she finished her questions and then asked me to fill in any blanks that she hadn't asked. I went in to a few techniques I use for teaching, like Dalcroze and Kodaly. I asked about the classroom, and somehow we started talking about technology, which lead me to tell her about a grant program Best Buy does to get technology in the classroom. She did seem impressed that I knew that, and I even told her how to find the grant application.
So, in other words, I have no idea what is going to come from the interviews today. I'm not a good judge of interviews. If I think they go well, I never hear another word about it. I know that I have put my trust in God and this is all in His hands. Thank you to everyone who has been praying. I really appreciate and know that your time will not be returned to you void!

No comments: