Tuesday, April 15, 2008

God's Never Gonna Leave!

Last Friday night, I was traveling to Batesville. Now, I hate traveling in the dark as much as my dad does, and it has nothing to do with bad night vision. One of my greatest fears in life is deer jumping out in front of my car. It terrifies me. When I see the light reflected off the eyes of a deer on the side of the road, my heart races and I begin breathing hard. I think what bothers me most about these creatures is their lack of common sense. Common sense would tell you to stand still and let the moving vehicle go by, or if you're standing in the middle of the road, to move out of the way as fast as you can. Deer unfortunately were not given this common sense. They would prefer to jump into your path as you are driving down the road or freeze if they are already in the road. Even typing about this has my heart rate raised a little.
But God told us that he would never leave us nor forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6). And I believe that. On my trip home, I was traveling through some dark, heavily forested roads, where I had on previous trips seen deer. I felt my body growing tense, and noticed that I was looking left and right like crazy. Then, my iPod started playing Jeremy Camp's recording of "Trust in You" and I thought, wow, there's no reason for me to panic like this. I know that God has His protection all around me and because I am His child, I have nothing to fear. Isn't that a great thought? And when I started thinking about it even more, I realized that I have nothing to fear about anything, because God's there. Whether I'm driving down a dark forested road trying not to panic because of deer or I'm so unsure about how my life will turn out with job searches and finances, I know that I have not been given a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7)! I know that my God is there and will never hang me out to dry. I will always have someone on my side, to love and protect me, even when the world has let me down time and time again. Even when a deer, with no common sense, is standing on the side of the road, I have nothing to fear, because my God is with me.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love, and a sound mind.

Trust In You
Written by Scott Krippayne
Recorded by Jeremy Camp

When I can’t see You I know You’re there
When I can’t feel You I will not fear
I will trust in You and I will not be afraid.

When the battle is close at hand
Though You’re with me and help me stand
I will trust in You and I will not be afraid.

I will not be afraid
I will trust in you

When the darkness is close at hand
And I‘m running against the wind
I will trust in you and I will not be afraid.
When I’m standing upon that shore
All the battles I’ve gone before
I will trust in you, and I will not be afraid.

'Cause I will not be afraid
I will trust in you

1 comment:

Leaning on Him said...

HI! I was browsing blogs today waiting on 5:30 to come along so I can FINALLY leave work and stumbled across yours! It struck my attention b-c of your layout colors and your references of the Bible. :) I LOVED this post. I have been struggling with fearlately...and, you, a COMPLTE stranger, gave me motivation! As I read this post I thought to myself, "Why must I worry so about finances and what might happen in my life when God is ALWAYS there to take care of me!?" so I just wanted to extend out a hearty "THANKS YOU!" :o) God Bless!!!