Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm Alive! I Swear!

So, I've been having internet issues over the last week. Since my new hometown recently suffered damage from some very severe weather, the phone company has been replacing the temporary phone lines it installed with the new, permanent ones. And since they are working on the phone lines and I have DSL, my internet has been temporarily unavailable.

Anyway, I have a few funny stories to share. So let me get started.

Wednesday, I was in my last class of the day. This third grade class is a little challenge because of one of the special needs students in the class. She doesn't understand the concept of personal space and is always bothering the students next to her, let alone not able to control herself at all. Well, with about ten minutes left in the class, one of the boys shoots his hand straight up in the air and yells "Ms. Brown! There's a lizard!" Seriously, there was a lizard in my classroom. By lizard, I mean a three inch salamander. Now, if you grew up any where near the country, you know that if you grab a salamander by the tail, the tail falls off. Well, my special needs child jumps out of her seat and grabs at the lizard before I even locate it. I have to physically sit her down amidst the chaos that has ensued because of this stupid lizard. After sitting her down, I notice that she had grabbed the lizard's tail, causing it to detach and start twitching all by itself. So now I not only have a lizard flopping around on the floor, I also have a detached tail. I pick up the lizard with a Kleenex, hand it to a boy on the front row, and send him to set the poor, traumatized lizard free. While he is gone, I pick up the twitching tail in another Kleenex and throw it away. I have never had that experience before. There really should be a class on lizard handling for the elementary classroom!

Last night, I had to run to Batesville, so I got to eat dinner with my parents and the nephews. As we were getting into the car, we were all debating where we wanted to eat. Braden was just excited to go to the restaurant. It's always so cute to hear him say restaurant. Anyway, on the way there, I started asking Braden what he did in school. He started telling me what he'd done. Since I taught the preschool class, I told Braden I got to play with three and four year olds. Braden, my four year old nephew, takes a deep breath in, lets it out with a big sigh, and says "So did I." I lost it for a second, as did my mother.

I have been having a lot of success in my classes. My high school kids have been singing the cannon "Dona Nobis Pacem" as three parts and doing it beautifully I might add! Everyone has been learning "Arkansas, You Run Deep in Me." I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised that all the kids love that song as much as they do. They don't want to stop singing it. That always makes me feel good, especially when I'm on bus duty and hear the kids singing it while they wait on the bus.

Today, I had a seventh grade girl head out of the class and fall on her back. Apparently the water fountain has a leak that runs into my office and classroom. That's always fun. Water every where. Where's my ark?

The other day, I was getting dinner ready and looked out the sliding glass doors to stare directly into the eyes of a mama deer. How do I know she was a mama deer? Because her baby was standing in the foliage just behind her. I was a little scared, after hearing all the horror stories of the deer coming through the glass to attack the innocent people in their houses. Anyway, I snapped a few pics of mama and baby. And here are a few pics of my high school classroom, some random weirdness from the new home town I live in (yes, that's a marlin on a chimney), and the SPIDER IN MY SHOE!













No comments: