Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Don't Stop Thinkin' About Tomorrow...

After sitting through inservice today, I realized I needed to get some materials to use in my classroom, since I have absolutely nothing any past teachers have used other than the text books in the class. I just don't understand how these people have taught solely from the text books. There were no materials for bulletin boards, no worksheets, absolutely nothing. I'm amazed. And then I remember that the people who have been in the position had no clue and were not trained to be a strictly choral or elementary music teacher.

I did find out more details about the past music people. I'm going to share them, to let you all know how to pray for my students and for me, but it may get a little graphic.

The band director two years ago was arrested for chatting on-line with who he thought was a fourteen year old girl. This man was married and had just welcomed a baby into their family. The police arrested him and charged him last summer. A new director was hired to take over the middle school through high school music program (both band and choir) and another teacher was hired part-time to take the elementary. The elementary teacher was apparently not a trained musician, so there were several lacking qualities for the Highly Qualified Teacher requirement by the State of Arkansas.

In April of this year, several students came forward claiming the new band/choir director had sexual relations with the students ON SCHOOL PROPERTY! The Arkansas State Police were called, charges were filed, a chase through the woods ensued, the hard drive to my school computer was taken and has yet to be returned, and the guy was placed in prison. I've been told the sink in the band room was thoroughly disinfected after being swabbed for DNA evidence.

Please keep this school, the students, and me in your prayers. I'm really going to shake the reality of some high school students who have used the music program as an easy class. So maybe I'll make one of them cry...

1 comment:

Travis Williams said...

Sounds pretty hardcore over there. :)