Tuesday, May 12, 2009

13 Days and Counting...

I've been working really hard this month. It seems that everything is coming to a close, and I'm saying goodbye to a lot of students. My seniors last day was Friday, and I really started thinking about how far I've come as a teacher. At the beginning of the year, I thought I never, ever wanted to teach high school choir. I'm beginning to think I might have been wrong. True, my piano skills are severely lacking when it comes to being a proficient choir teacher, but with technology and some very patient and very musically gifted students, I had an amazing concert with four acappella pieces. I even "played" the piano on two pieces.

Saturday, the band director and I headed up a Talent Show fundraiser at the school. We had about 17 acts, and in the end, earned over $500. Many people were very excited about the Talent Show and asked us if we were going to do it again next year. Yeah! A tradition in the making.

We have an awards program for the seniors tomorrow night, and I really don't know how I'm going to get through this without crying. These kids have dealt with a lot over the last few years, so it was nice to have such a successful choir season. Graduation is Thursday night, and luckily the choir doesn't have to do anything. Good thing too: all but one of my basses and four of my altos are graduating! We ran a song this morning, just to hear the voicing in the room, and I was shocked!

I have my Elementary and Middle School concert next Thursday, and after that, I think it may be movie time! I really think the kids have worked super hard and deserve a break. And what's not to like about watching a musical with the projector and cool sound system with a whole lot of popcorn?

I really don't have any plans for the summer, except for working on my poorly neglected house. My brother is having a hip replacement June 2, so keep him in your prayers. And me and mom, since we'll be dealing with him and the boys for a couple of weeks! I'm also probably going to have to have my gall bladder taken out sometime this summer. If that happens, I'll keep you posted...

Now, if I can only make it through the next thirteen days... And with faces at home like these, I know it will go by "super" fast!

No comments: