Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Best Part is the Giving...

One thing I've struggled a lot with this year is trying to make sure I have a present for everyone for all of the Christmas celebrations I will be attending. It seems like every time I turn around someone is asking me to give some money here or buy an ornament for a gift exchange or some other mundane task. Oprah even got on the giving kick this year. Rather than doing her "Favorite Things" episode, she did a sort of pay it forward type of episode, where every audience member was given $1000 with the stipulation it must be spent on someone else.

I decided earlier in the year that I wanted to buy chickens from Heifer International as presents this year. Several people were very appalled that I would suggest such a travesty (if I did that, then what would they get?). I still think I'm going to do it as a present for our entire family. How cool would it be to buy some chickens for a hungry family in need that they could use for eggs and meat?

I started thinking about what I could do other than that. What could I do to help? With all the financial problems the country is facing right now, Christmas looks bleak for a lot of people. I really want to be able to share the true meaning of Christmas with as many people as I can. One organization that does that is the Salvation Army. We've all seen the red kettles and heard the bell ringers as we walked into Wal-Mart, Target, or any shopping area. And I always try to give a little each time. But I never have cash, and if I ever did, I would probably try to put it all in there.

One of the new things the Salvation Army has started is your own "Online Kettle." So I've started one. Click here or on this link (http://give.salvationarmyusa.org/goto/gloria_brown1) or the red kettle on the side, and it will take you to my kettle. Help me help a lot of people and show the love that God has for us. If you can't spare a large amount of money, even a dollar or two can help. Remember, God gave us His only son to die for our sins. There's no way to repay that debt, and as Pastor Tony talked about this morning in service, we have to remember to help our fellow men when they ask for it.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: